Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Report of Birth Abroad

A Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240) is official evidence of U.S. citizenship issued to a child under age 18 born abroad to a United States citizen parent(s) who acquires citizenship at birth. Because a child's foreign birth certificate is insufficient to prove U.S. citizenship, the Consular Report Of Birth Abroad is primary evidence to show how and when a child acquires U.S. citizenship. The application (Form DS-2029/SS-5) must be submitted by a U.S. citizen parent in person before the child's 18th birthday. We encourage parents to document their child's citizenship as soon as possible after the birth.  A passport application for the child can be submitted at the same time.  Please note the child must appear at the U.S. Consulate General. 

This process is often time consuming. You may be asked to return to the Consulate with further information to support your case. If you do not return with any requested information within 90 days, your application will be considered abandoned.

Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, First U.S. Passport, and Social Security Number for Your Child

Transmitting U.S. citizenship is an important process that is subject to specific U.S. laws and regulations. Please read the following instructions carefully. Failure to submit the required documents or to complete the forms correctly will result in a delay in the process.


Please have all documentation completed and filled out prior to your arrival for your appointment. If you have any questions, please send an e-mail to

If you do not have all forms completed and filled out or are missing documents or individuals that prohibit the processing to completion of your application, you may be asked to schedule another appointment.

To apply please follow the steps below or download and complete our CRBA checklist.

Step 1:  Fill out the applications and prepare the required documents  

You must complete the following prior to your appointment:

  1. Affidavit of Physical Presence, Form DS-5507 (PDF file) Please click here for an example of a correctly completed DS-5507

Required Documents

  • One (1) original Moroccan birth certificates in French from the city hall (Commune Urbaine) of the child's place of birth. This document must be requested within one month of the child's date of birth;
  • The U.S. citizen parent(s)' valid passport(s) with one copy;
  • The ID or passport of the non American parent with one copy;
  • Parents' original marriage certificate and English translation (plus one copy of each);
  • Original divorce decree (or other documentation of the termination) of any previous marriages of parents with English translation (plus one copy of each);
  • Hospital records documenting the birth, prenatal records documenting doctor's visits during the pregnancy, sonograms;
  • Moroccan Family book, if applicable
  • One photo of the child, 5x5 cm, white background, front view;
  • The child must be physically present at the appointment;
  • Photocopies of the U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by a U.S. Consulate/Embassy to your previous child(ren), if applicable.
  • A fee of $205.00 ($100.00 for the CRBA and $105.00 for the passport) or the equivalent in Moroccan dirham. The Social Security Card is free of charge.
  • Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence (PDF file) in United States of U.S. citizen parent(s) with evidence of 5 years of physical presence, at least 2 of which were after the age of 14. The 5 years need not be continuous. Children born to unmarried U.S. citizen mothers only need to show twelve months of continuous physical presence. The following documents are examples of evidence of physical presence in the U.S.: transcripts from college or school, original W-2s, employment records and pay stubs, original social security statements, government or military service records, passports showing entries into or departures from the United States, credit record information and other miscellaneous documents that clearly establish periods of U.S. physical presence.  NOTE: All periods of residence or physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child.

If the U.S. parent will not be in Morocco and present at the appointment, the following are required from him/her:

  1. Statement of Consent, form DS-3053 (PDF File), notarized by a notary public in the U.S., or by a U.S. Consular Officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  2. Affidavit of Physical Presence notarized by a notary public in the U.S., or by a U.S. Consular Officer at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
  3. Notarized copies of all the pages of the U.S. passport and notarized clear copies of all pages of any and all passports in his/her possession.

Step 2:  Schedule an Appoinment to come to the Consulate.

Please click here to make an appointment.

Step 3:  Picking up the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and the U.S. Passport.

If so, you will be informed when you may come back to pick up the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and the U.S. passport, usually two weeks after the approval date.


The U.S. Consulate in Casablanca does not have a local Social Security Administration (SSA) presence.  All applications accepted by the Consulate are sent to the SSA Regional Office in Paris.  The Consulate does not accept or process applications, but simply forwards them to the Paris office.

In practice, the Social Security card takes between four and six months to arrive.  If possible, we highly recommend applying for the Social Security card in the United States, where it will be processed significantly faster. 

Please note that we cannot be responsible for the length of time required to process applications.  If you have questions about your Social Security card or have not received it, please direct your inquiry to the Paris office at

NOTE: If it is determined that a U.S. citizen cannot transmit citizenship to his or her child, he or she should consult the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 which provides an alternative means of seeking citizenship for children of U.S. citizens who do not acquire citizenship at birth.

Travel Reminder: 

American citizens must enter and depart the United States using their U.S. passports.

Forms can be obtained from the U.S. Consulate or through the following links:

Application for U.S. Passport, Form DS-11

Application for a Consular Report of a Birth Abroad, Form DS-2029 (pdf)

Affidavit of Physical Presence (pdf)

Application for a Social Security Card, Form SS-5 (pdf)

Statement of Consent, DS-3053 (pdf)

Obtaining Copies of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A replacement Consular Report of Birth or form DS-1350 (Certification of Report of Birth, which contains the same information as CRBA and is acceptable for all legal purposes) can be issued in multiple copies but cannot be obtained overseas. They can be obtained by writing to:

Passport Correspondence Branch
1111 19th Street, N.W., Suite 510
Washington, D.C. 20521-1705

A written request should include:

  1. Full name of child at birth (plus any adoptive names);
  2. Date and place of birth;
  3. Names of parents;
  4. Serial number of the FS-240 (on FS-240s issued after November 1, 1990);
  5. Any available passport information;
  6. Signature of requester;
  7. Notarized affidavit for a replacement FS-240 (if applicable).

The fee is $30 per document, payable to the "Department of State" by check or bank draft drawn on a bank in the United States, or money order. The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail. Copies will be provided to the person who is the subject of the Report of Birth, the subject's parents, the subject's legal guardian, or a person who submits written authorization from the subject of the Report of Birth.

Amending or Correcting your child’s CRBA:

To amend or correct a Consular Report of Birth  after 30 days has passed and the records have been sent to Washington, DC; please submit a written request, accompanied by certified copies of all appropriate legal documents related to the requested amendment/correction, i.e. foreign birth certificate, marriage certificate, court ordered adoption or name change, birth certificates of the adopting or legitimating parents, affidavits, etc.  The original FS-240 or replacement FS-240, or a notarized affidavit concerning its whereabouts, also must be included.  NOTE: Allow at least 6 months from the date you received your original CRBA for the Vital Records Section to have your ammended CRBA properly documented, filed, and available.

U.S. Citizen Services Hours

  • The U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca, Morocco, provides routine consular services by appointment to all U.S. citizens visiting or resident in Morocco.


    Telephone inquiries and emergency services are from 8:00 to 17:00 Monday through Friday at (212) 0522-26-71-51.  Our fax number is (212) 0522-29-77-01.  For after-hour emergencies, please call (212) 661-13-19-39. DURING RAMADAN, PHONE HOURS WILL BE FROM 8:00 TO 13:00.

Adobe Reader

  • adobe

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.